Friends of Tawas Point Lighthouse and State Park is a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization dedicated to promoting the wise use and conservation of this gem that is Tawas Point State Park.
Adhering to its mission statement, the Friends organization works to support and improve the park through funding of projects, recreational equipment, and interpretive programs and by volunteering to assist park staff with projects and events.
Click here to download an application form.
There are several levels of membership from which to select.
- Keeper - $20/year which includes unlimited $2 admission to the lighthouse for one person.
- Keeper's Family - $40/year which includes unlimited $2 admission to the lighthouse for two adults and their children.
- Keeper's Family Plus - $75/year which includes unlimited $2 admission to the lighthouse for two adults and their children plus two guests.
- Guardian of the Light - $300 includes all of the above for the lifetime of the member and member’s family.
All memberships include a 10% discount at the state-managed gift shop in appreciation for the support of Tawas State Park given by Friends members. In addition members receive minutes of the Friends meetings and newsletters.
The Friends organization began in 1986 as an informal volunteer group formed to assist Tawas State Park staff with improving the park. It was formally incorporated in 1992 with written by-laws and a mission statement. In 2019, a total of 28 members completed 2478 number of hours working on various projects in the park and at the lighthouse. In addition, they welcomed 2913 visitors at Friends-sponsored events. Since 2013, the following projects and equipment have been funded or purchased by Friends nonprofit efforts:
- 175 trees for park campground
- An 18’ x 26’ storage building
- 24 folding chairs and 10 folding tables
- A washer and dryer for the lighthouse
- A bear hide for the park Explorer program
- 8’ x 12’ US flags (replaced as needed)
- Rope replacement for the gift shop, walkway, and flagpole
- Landscaping around the flag pole and lighthouse flower beds in partnership with Sunrise Side Master Gardeners
- Gift shop window repairs
- Rebuilding of the lighthouse entryway
- Furnishings for the Keeper’s quarters
- Christmas decorations for the annual Christmas at the Light event
- Halloween decorations, pumpkins, and apples for the annual Haunted Lighthouse event
- A 10’ x 12’ storage shed
- Replacing the lighthouse lantern room windows
- A lighthouse winch system
- The lighthouse 140th birthday party in 2016
- A State of Michigan Historical marker with a formal dedication and celebration event in 2018
- Phase one restoration of the historic oil house in 2019